Weekly bits and pieces:
I wrote a short blog post about Kotlin’s platform types and how to go around them.
I bought a RaspberryPi 3 B+.
This is a brand new and refreshed revision of the relatively mature RaspberryPi 3 B. It feels like a significant boost when compared to my loyally serving, but already quite oldish RasPi 2 B. Alongside the 64-bit CPU and built-in WiFi (which we know from the 3rd revision), the 3 B+ adds a slew of goodies:
- A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~200 MHz more than the 3 B 🚀)
- Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
- Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
- (According the announcement, this makes around 3x increase in wireless and wired throughput 🚀)
- Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
- Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
- Improved thermal management
I have some plans what to do out of my growing RasPi fleet. One idea is to ship one over to my parents back in Bulgaria and set up a VPN. Another one is to create a mini-cluster of Pis for personal experiments. Or, I can simply start using the 3 B+ for my home automation and media, same what I’ve been using by 2 B almost 2.5 years for. Whatever I decide on, I am looking for a 3.5” display to hook onto it, for diagnostic purposes. If you have any suggestions on good displays, please, let me know in the comments.
Links and Other Resources
Subscribe to Preslav's Thoughts and Ramblings
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox